Thursday, March 12, 2009

Scotiabank Place First Impressions

Arrived safely in Ottawa and made it to Scotiabank Place (SBP) in time to see the #4 ranked Western Mustangs shoot around.

Dave Kent from Carleton gave me a tour of the media centre...looks like a good setup, the media centre is one end of the building, so very accessible to court side. A nice supply of pizza, muffins, coffee, and water awaited my arrivial. Having just finished the Jumbo Gumbo combo at Dunn's (a very large smoked meat sandwich and fries) I limited myself to a coffee.

I took a few photos to check the lighting of the place, which looks comparable to Metro Centre (or quite good) but should be brighter with the luxury box and advertising lights turned on...for any photogs reading probably f2.8 1/400s at 1250ISO, which is acceptable for sports pics - I would like to get it down to 1000ISO.

Dal is holding a pre-game reception at noon on Friday which I plan to attend before the Tigers take the court at 2:30pm to take on Canada West runners-up UBC. The feeling amongst the media types around here is that Dal has a good shot to beat UBC, and that we have a very nice seed at #6 - 2008 champion Brock were a #7 seed and #6 Western knocked off #3 Saint Mary's last year. Now they may just be telling me what I want to hear, but UBC has a horrible history at this tournament, and they haven't played a road game since January, so...anyway less than 24 hours til tip-off.


















The Media Centre























View from the endzone















Courtside
















From the stands
















Real NHL ice!